Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Clothes.

Over the last three years (while I've been at uni), many of my clothes have been from the op-shop. Surprisingly, I would regularly get compliments on my op gear. Nevertheless, I've found that some of my friends have an aversion to op-shop clothes, often due to the fact that a person who is now dead, may have once worn them. Others are bothered by the 'old folk' smell. Neither of these reasons have deterred me from frequenting the local salvos, vinnies or lifeline. A good wash and the item would be rid of any hint of old spice or lily of the valley.


I have found however, that since working full time and having double my previous income that I am making purchases at more 'illustrious' shops. It ain't Chanel, Gucci or Dior, but its a bit 'better' than my regular moth-ball get up. Having this disposable income has made me aware not only of my consumeristic tendencies, but also the emphasis we put on the clothing that we wear.


This emphasis on clothing isn't just limited to females. There seems to be an ever increasing number of males who are becoming fashionistas. Yes, a guy should look presentable, not wear stripes with plaids or in my opinion any shade of pink, but when a fellow spends more time in the bathroom than you do, has a better skin care regime and is prettier than you - the line should be drawn.


Truth be told, we tend to express our individualism through our clothing. There is this group of high school kids who catch the same bus as me in the morning and I always find it really interesting to see the outfits they choose everyday. It reminds me of a time in my life when I was unsure of my identity and would switch 'styles' quite frequently, over compensating with what I was wearing to disguise my insecurities.


Now, I find that I have a clothing 'style' that I am comfortable with, that expresses my personality. But what if my clothes were taken away and I was left wearing potato sacks? It would probably have a big impact on how I feel about myself, how I think others see me. As a Christian, this shouldn't really be an issue. I should be confident and secure in who I am because of who God has made me, not because of the clothes on my back.


""No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money. Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" Matthew 6:24-26

No comments: