Thursday, May 27, 2010

.cher.

Recently I've been waking up with bizarre songs in my head. One such song was Believe by Cher...

*sing it with me now*
'Do you believe in life after love' fa la la la

I don't own a Cher CD, or even have a Cher song hidden somewhere on an ambiguous compilation on my i-pod. I'm guessing I heard this track on the radio, tv or a movie somewhere along the way and its been lying dormant in my memory waiting for a moment to spring up and make me question my taste in music.

While trying to figure out how these lyrics came to be floating around in my mind one morning, I found myself following an interesting tangent.

Jesus calls us to think about whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy in Philippians 4:8.

But how about what we see and hear? We can think about all the things Jesus tells us to in Phil 4:8, but if we are not seeing or hearing things that are true, noble, right and more - how can we expect ourselves to think about such things?

Our minds, our hearts are precious. In Proverbs 4:23 Solomon urges us to 'Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it'. If all flows from our heart, which is inextricably linked to our minds & thoughts - shouldn't we be careful of what we unconsciously (or consciously) let seep into it when we watch TV, listen to music or are even having conversations???

Our lives as believers in Jesus Christ should be different, not only should we think on whatever is pure, lovely and admirable, but we should also be surrounding ourselves with these things.

No comments: