Tuesday, August 31, 2010

.marbles.

Everybody hates losing things.

I've lost plenty of things during my time. $20 on the back seat of a taxi I neglected to put back in my wallet. Grocery items I swear I paid for at the supermarket, but that never made it into my pantry. CD's & DVDs, socks and on various occasions I suspect I've lost my marbles.

Yep, I've lost things.

In high school my best friend gave me a pair of black hightop converse sneakers for my 16th birthday. I loved them. I even purchased a mega cool pair of shoelaces covered in stars all colours of the rainbow to add to their awesomeness. The following summer, my brother was going to a music festival & his friend came from another state. She didn't bring shoes or socks (granted, I did live on the Gold Coast at that time, so thongs sufficed nine times our of ten - but who, knowing they are going to a music festival, doesn't bring a pair of closed in shoes?!). So I lent them to her.

Lets just say that somewhere in the returning to me process, that my beloved chucks went missing. It wasn't the direct fault of said girl, or my brother...but somewhere along the line they went AWOL. I was devastated & took every opportunity when the family was seated at the dinner table to bring up the aforementioned transgression. Has my life been tragically altered because of this lost pair of sneakers? No! Perhaps my street cred dwindled, but I'm no less of a person because of it. Truth be told, they were a size too small for me anyway and made me wince ever step I took, because my feet were so crammed in.

Today, I lost a precious piece of jewellery. An amazingly beautiful gold crucifix studded with pearls that was my great grandmothers. It has a lot of sentimental value. I hope its in the women's bathroom at work, or lodged down my top (I was on the tram as I wrote this and decided frisking myself in public wasn't the brightest idea), or floating around in the masses of paperwork on my desk which I neglected to tidy up before knocking off.

I almost cried when I realised I'd lost it (& I've already cried in public this week, in a pub of all places...so for the sake of my own dignity & the ugly crying noises my fellow commuters would be exposed to, I sucked it up). But crying won't bring my necklace back.

I text my friend from work to see if she recalled me wearing it, sadly, she can't remember. But in her reply she said "I'm sure it will pop up again, because you're such a good person", which is a really lovely thing to say. However, I'm not sure if I believe this. I know that sounds quite cynical....but if I have lost the crucifix where I think (I suspect it fell off in my frantic run across the street to catch the tram), then me getting the jewellery back won't be dependant on if I am a good person or not, but if the one who finds it is.

But what is a good person anyway?? I know many won't agree on my opinion on this, but I believe that no one is a good person in their own right. I believe that goodness comes from God and that apart from grace no-one can be truly 'good'. This doesn't mean that people cannot do good deeds (regardless of your religion or faith), but that something which is 100% good comes from God.

I don't know about you, but even when I carry out good deeds, my motivations can be tainted. Even if I think my motives may be unadulterated, often when I reflect back on a situation afterwards I realise that they were not. This is a hard reality to face. I don't like to think that the good things I do for those I love could done out of an impure heart.

I'm so thankful that God is good and that occasionally (and only because of his grace!) I do show his goodness to others.

No comments: